Friday, October 04, 2002

MAYBE I NEED TO GET OUT MORE

I've begun to use a meditation tape/relaxation tone CD thingie over stereo headphones which supposedly forges new neural pathways in your brain, while giving you a deep meditative trance. Don't know if any of that is true, but I do know, after using it, that I feel quite like the way I felt when I used to float in a floatation tank regularly: rested, alert, peaceful. It was almost impossible to rile me in the first few days after a float. It's a shame it's so hard to find a good tank in New York City; back in my funky Brooklyn days, I actually could walk down the street a block and book an hour for 15 dollars in a tank in this woman's brownstone: one of my few extravagances during the year my dad was dying and I was broke. Things I miss from the 80s: 15 dollar floats, Peoplexpress. Things I don't: Ronald Reagan.

So this CD seems like a solution, new neural pathways or not. I like it so much I've tried it out on the dog, and she seems much calmer on her walks post-CD. The only problem is that the headphones are built for human heads, and so I have to arrange the two ear buds around her midjaw. Jeff and I were discussing this this morning, and he actually said, "Faith needs her own headphones."

And I thought: there it is, my million dollar idea: dog headphones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home