Monday, February 21, 2005

ORANGE YOU GLAD TO BE IN NEW YORK

So we saw The Gates today, and they were great. Jeff thought of sails and sheets, and I thought of theatre curtains. Wonderful. The day is gray and slushy, but the Gates do bring the party to our city. And they are free and orange and uncomplicated, without a label or brand in sight. Thank you Jean-Claude and Christo!

I first learned about the Gates when Gordon Davis, the NY parks commissioner at the time, turned Christo down flat in..hm, 1979? 1980? I lived in Pittsburgh, then, but longed for New York. My friend Jane adored Christo, and when I told her about the dustup, she wrote a letter of protest, and copied Christo. Christo and Jean-Claude sent her several signed posters of their work in thanks, and in turn, Jane gave me one, which I kept for almost 20 years...the sun finally bleached the poster almost white. I felt sad to let it go, but like everything else in the Christo world, it is joyously temporary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home