Saturday, May 25, 2002

THE ICE CREAM CONES OF HOBOKEN


Yesterday, on my way home from the library, I bought two Arctic Swirls from the Mr. Softee truck. (Arctic Swirls are Mr. Softee's answer to Dairy Queen's Blizzards and McDonald's McFlurries. I think Arctic Swirl is the most poetic of the three of them.) The guy who made them didn't hear me ask for tops on the cups, and he stuck spoons in both of them. When I repeated my request, he yanked the spoons out, and offered them to me.


"Do you want to lick them? I hate to waste ice cream." Of course I said yes. A little extra pleasure.


As the guy handed me my Arctic Swirls, he said, "I remember when I was a kid, my mom would take me to the butcher--and after he gave us our meat, he would give me a piece of bologna." A little extra pleasure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home