Tuesday, June 18, 2002

JANE PRATT, PLEASE PICK ME

Dear Jane:

I loved Sassy, though I was way too old for it. I love Jane, though I was pretty old for it---but loved the fashion spreads and the cheeky 'tude. Now the NY Post tells us you are starting a magazine to celebrate 40+ women.

Jane, I am your woman. Please hire me as your...your...well, let's call it creative consultant. I write, I produce, I take fab pictures...if they are of my dog.

Here's why:

1. I have, like you, managed to get married after 40 to a groovy man.

2. I am still (occasionally) going to places where it is very, very hard to find out the address.

3. Because I knew the Vagina Monologues rocked even before celebs got involved. Because I knew Eve Ensler rocked--whether she was directing Jane Fonda, or addressing a bunch of students from Carnegie Mellon on Good Friday (which is where I first saw TVM). First post show comment--a young guy stands up, and asks Eve: "As a heterosexual man, what can I do to help?"

4. Because my mom named me Martha Garvey Jr., and isn't that the coolest thing.

5. Because when I told my mother that Eve was disappointed that Mom hadn't shown up for Eve's Good Friday performance, my mother said sweetly, "Did you tell her I had to take my vagina to church?"

6. Because I dress my dog up in pearls and Mardi Gras beads. (Okay, maybe not a selling point.)

7. Because I once wrote and performed a show about my mother's obsession with Brian Dennehy that grabbed me a mention in the New York Observer---and a thank you note from Brian Dennehy!

8. Because I never imagined that being in my 40s would be so much fun...


Hey, if you don't ask, you don't get, right?


Thanks, Jane.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home