Thursday, January 29, 2004

THE PARADOX OF CHOICE, OR THE CHOICE OF PARADOX

The other thing I'm thinking about these days is that there seems to be a mini-industry of books out there right now telling us that We Have Too Many Choices, and that isn't good. I once heard a woman say, "Some say the glass is half empty. Some say the glass is half full. I say the glass isn't big enough."

Again, it's one of those very Western, very American problems. Like going to the A&P today, searching for a single size container of plain yogurt, and being simply overwhelmed by the choices and the sizes and the sheer, sheer din of yogurt on the walls. Should I go with Brown Cow because they're cool? Should I reject Dannon because they've shrunk their serving size by two ounces? Is this Stonyfield Farm low fat, or regular fat? Did I leave a big container of yogurt at home and so shouldn't even be making this decision?

Like that. But one could argue, if one were a conspiracy freak, that this din is a useful din. That this level of product noise is a weapon of mass distraction. That the wall of yogurt hides a bed of lies.

Or something like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home