Monday, February 28, 2005

FALL INTO THE (GENDER) GAP

I can't help it. I'm probably a second-and-a-half wave feminist. So when I watch the Oscars last night, I have to wonder what Harvard president Lawrence Summers would think about the paucity of female writers and directors nominated on the fiction feature film side of the Oscars. And wonder wouldn't it have been interesting (and talkworthy) if Chris Rock, so good at noticing other emperors and their lack of clothes, had talked about it. Don't get me wrong: I'm really glad old white guys are working and directing, because, you know, they're fantastic, especially Sidney Lumet when he's cranking, and Clint Eastwood is just awesome. But maybe that "can't do big science" gene is wrapper around the "can't write and direct and big feature films" gene in girls. Can't wait for the map on that one, so we call all just rest easy. Tina (I got nominated but I did not win) Fey, are you listening?

2 Comments:

At 6:37 AM, Blogger Martha said...

Thanks so much! The feeling is mutual! Have only read the shortened version of "The Namesake" in the New Yorker, but I found it riveting.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger KelvinM said...

Hi Martha, I am searching for cheap canadian domains and somehow ended up at your site.
This blog definately doesn't have the info I was looking for about cheap canadian domains, but I though it was a good read, so I bookmarked it for a later return.

Take care.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home